Sunday, June 14, 2015

Goodnight and good luck

I shall begin this post as if it were any other post I've written before, though you and I both know it simply isn't. Instead of dwelling on the melancholy fact that this is my last post, I will talk about this past weekend. Yesterday I woke up and went shopping. When I say I went shopping I mean that I bought one thing and walked around with others who were shopping. I learned one thing from this activity: a fedora and scarf combination is not an easy thing to pull off. That being said, I must admit rather modestly that I wore the crap out of that combo. I mean I looked HOT. I think I'll end that part of the day on that note. Later we went for a hike on Sella del Diavolo, or for you English speakers the Saddle of the Devil. Having walked on it, I can understand why he's such a mean guy. The hike was very rocky and if I had to sit on saddle like that I'd be pretty upset too. However, the hike did offer many nice views despite it being overcast. I believe the cloudiness of the day created an interesting atmosphere. The night concluded with dinner and a nice sit on some church steps with a group of friends.

Today we went to Orroli, which is a town a little over an hour north of Cagliari. The town was celebrating Saint Caterina by holding a parade in which the participants wore traditional Sardinian outfits. They threw baked sweets to the crown from atop trailer-drawn platforms. Traditional music was being played in the city center as they passed by. It was an entertaining festivity to take part in and seemed a fitting last cultural excursion for the dialogue. After the procession finished, some traditional dancing broke out on the square. Some of the more adventurous members of group happily ventured to join the locals. I sipped tea and enjoyed watching from my seat a comfortable distance away. I considered joining, but knew that I didn't posses the energy to keep up  at the time and consequently decided against it. Perhaps when I return to Sardinia I won't hesitate to jump in.

Well this is it, my last blog for this trip, and perhaps my last blog ever. I know you guys are feeling a whole range of emotions (mostly a deep sadness), so I'll try to keep it simple and sweet. We have been through a lot, all four of my followers. We have swam in the Mediterranean Sea, and we have trekked up a mountain before the sun woke up. We have been stuck in an elevator, and we have stayed up to watch the sunrise. The trip has been filled with activities and certainly hasn't tapered off as we approach the end. I like it this way. It feels as if we're still making the most of every opportunity. I will not soon forget this experience and will always be grateful for it. The excursions have been amazing. The locals have been beyond welcoming. Our professor, and leader, has been better than I could ever ask for. And, most importantly, the people I have shared this adventure with have made it the best it could be through their undying enthusiasm, camaraderie, and overall splendidness.

No comments:

Post a Comment